Bonkers

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Fri May 11 13:25:07 BST 2007

On 11 May 2007, at 13:06, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 10:50:54PM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:
>
>>          Rather, I'd try to see if they understood pointers enough
>> to get rid of the index variables. Something like the following:
>
> Woo!  Go me!  I'd have gone straight for pointers anyway!

I remember thinking I'd stumbled into the magic kingdom when I learnt
that I could copy a string like this:

   while (*d++ = *s++) ;

Xenix, 1984, a basement office in Billingham. Bizarrely I'd be
contracted for a single day to devise cunning tests to be used on
applicants for C job.

I neglected to tell them that I spent the first half of the day
teaching myself C. Cue lots of protracted crapper visits with a copy
of K&R :)

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net