Testing Questions

Paul LeoNerd Evans leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
Mon May 14 22:05:44 BST 2007

On Mon, 14 May 2007 13:02:47 +0100
Pete Sergeant <pete at clueball.com> wrote:

> * At what point are you actually writing your tests? Before you start
> writing code? During the time you write code? Once the code is written?
> Something else?

I usually have three stages to this:

 1. Some minimal tests on typical usage, before I write the code. This
    gives TDD, which I find works well for library-like things.

 2. Testing just before I release modules to CPAN - checking more edge
    cases, exceptions, ways it's supposed to break, etc.. (Test::Exception
    is good at that).

 3. Testing after a bug report, to prove the existence of the bug, and
    then, having fixed the code, show it has been fixed.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/