User testing

Kake L Pugh kake at earth.li
Thu May 17 01:52:11 BST 2007

Hello.  Here's an idea which may have been brought to you by too much gin and
too little patience with people asserting things they have no evidence for.

We have open source code; we have open source design; why don't we have open
source user testing?  Jakob Nielsen has umpteen reports of proper scientific
testing of how people use websites and other applications, but they all cost
$$$ - which is perfectly understandable, because he's a business and so needs
to make money.

Is it beyond us as a group to come up with things like a validatable
questionnaire, or a cheaply-built eye-tracking device, or a couple of people
capable of performing interviews and doing content analysis on the results?

Kake