Emergency pubmeet, Thursday 17th

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Fri May 18 11:41:58 BST 2007

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 12:55:30PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On 12 May 2007, at 12:36, David Cantrell wrote:
> [...]
> >Pillars of Hercules.
>
> Ah, the Pillars, what wonderful memories.
>
> Shame I have to stick with the memories. There seems to be some sort
> of fault with the sound system that prevents it from being at
> anything other than full blast. The "food all day" sign is also
> merely for decoration.

For the benefit of the archive, the music did appear around about 7pm, but
when, a bit later, we asked twice in quick succession for it to be turned
down, they did manage to find a setting that was less than 11.

I did notice a blackboard somewhere further in that said that "Lunch" is 12-4
and "Dinner" is 5-9, so it's 80% there to "all day". But a miss is as good as
a mile.

Beware, despite it being "new management" a sign suggests that the DJ is
still blighting it every Wednesday. Avoid him. (And the cause of my comment
about emergencies on Thursdays, as Thursdays at the PoH are safe from the DJ)

> The OP is still drinkable though, and at least you can drink it
> outside, away from the music.

I didn't notice any seating outside. But the road outside was being dug up,
with fencing forcing everyone onto the pavements, so it may be that they
feel that currently there is neither the space nor the desire for people to
drink outside.

The beer was good. I fail to remember whether Smylers determined the cause of
the less than brilliant soft drinks.

Patara remains excellent.

Nicholas Clark