Emergency pubmeet, Thursday 17th

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Fri May 18 12:18:03 BST 2007

Nicholas Clark writes:

> On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 12:55:30PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
>
> > On 12 May 2007, at 12:36, David Cantrell wrote:
> >
> > > Pillars of Hercules.

Thank you for arranging that, Dave -- it was a very pleasant evening.

> I did notice a blackboard somewhere further in that said that "Lunch"
> is 12-4 and "Dinner" is 5-9, so it's 80% there to "all day". But a
> miss is as good as a mile.

The blackboard next to our table somewhat oxymoronically proclaimed:

  Food served
  all day
  12-4 & 5-9

> The beer was good. I fail to remember whether Smylers determined the
> cause of the less than brilliant soft drinks.

The lemonade was slightly off -- not so much that I felt like asking for
it to be changed in an establishment I don't know the staff (but enough
for me not to wish to continue drinking it).  Though that was presumably
just what happened to be the case last night, and not the permanent
situation; unless they're doing something very wrong with their postmix,
there's no reason to expect poor lemonade in future.

And they were at least prepared to serve soft drinks in pints, rather
than those bizarre 400 ml glasses that so many places insist on these
days.

They only appeared to have one flavour of J2O (orange and passionfruit).

If there'd been significantly more than 6 of us seating would probably
have been a problem.

> Patara remains excellent.

It was my first visit and I was very impressed -- not cheap, but both
the food and the service were excellent and worth paying for.  I'd go
there again, and I'm not really into Thai food.

Smylers