Character set sucktitude

Luke Ross luke at lukeross.name
Tue May 22 00:42:53 BST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 11:58:41PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> I have some data that is unfortunately in "Western (Mac OS Roman)",
> whatever the fuck that is.  I need to turn it into ISO-8859-1.  Ideally,
> I don't want to be able to only do the conversion on a Mac, but if I
> have to then so be it.
>
> How?
>
> Of course, only an utter cock would suggest that I use different tools,
> or tell me to use some other flavour-of-the-month encoding.  And no-one
> here is an utter cock.  Are they.  Good, glad we've got that sorted.

My initial thought was libiconv, but as different tools aren't permitted
I'm going to cheat and suggest Text::Iconv. libiconv supports MacRoman,
but deciding which alias you need may require trial and error (I'm
guessing it's "MAC". Or possibly "MACINTOSH").

Luke
--
``Every problem in the world can be fixed with either flowers,
  or duct tape, or both.'' (David Millington)