Browsing log files?

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Fri Jun 1 11:13:10 BST 2007

I suspect I'm living in the dark ages: I still use less to browse log
files.

Dead server this morning. As I was poking through the log files it
occurred to me that there must be a log specific less-like prog. I'd
like to be able to

* search by time
* view slices of multiple log files for the same time - possibly
interleaved

I know I can search /for/ a time - but in a sparse log file the time
I'm interested in might not correspond with a log entry.

I fantasise about

$ logless -t 04:50 /var/log/*

and having it jump to 04:50 today and show me a unified view of all
the logs around that time.

Must exist, right?

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net