capturing bash history

asmith9983@gmail.com asmith9983 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 11:28:24 BST 2007

What do folks think of the idea of bash using syslog to record its actions.
You could create an environment variable  assigned by the user which
identified the shell with more than the process ID. I'm thinking here with
Linux, Doze who knows ???   writing to syslog would allow all the features of
syslog such those mentioned in this thread such as timestamping, and writing
to a single log across systems.
It may be adding  the above to the existing history logging plus flushing the
writes immediately is enough and leaves compatibility untouched.

--
Andrew