capturing bash history

asmith9983@gmail.com asmith9983 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 08:23:43 BST 2007

Hi Aaron
I hadn't read your reply to this until I got home.  I sometimes get annoyed
with bash only updating .bash_history when it exits properly. Also no date
against the command.
1. What do you think of an idea to amend the history logging to use the syslog
facility, which would record  as it executes each command line.  An extension
would be to set an environment variable to allow the user to identify the
shell.
2. As above but still writing to .bash_history, but flushing after each line
so that  system resets, and window closes  don;t lose the history log.

I've still to read the URL you posted below on power_tips. I tend to always
use the fc command rather than history.  The only time I generally fiddle with
.bash_history is to redirect :> .bash_history to hide what I've been up to!

--
Andrew