When did linux become caseless?

Gianni Ceccarelli dakkar at thenautilus.net
Fri Jun 15 11:32:49 BST 2007

On 2007-06-15 Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk> wrote:
> I am guessing that this some bash argument expansion option. Any
> ideas as to how to get the correct behaviour?

Locales?

  $ mkdir /tmp/t; cd /tmp/t
  $ touch A a B b
  $ ls
  a  A  b  B
  $ ls [A-B]
  A  b  B
  $ LC_ALL=C bash -c 'ls [A-Z]'
  A  B

That is, the character ranges are locale-dependant, and you should not
rely on them. (I think it's documented somewhere)

--
	Dakkar - <Mobilis in mobile>
	GPG public key fingerprint = A071 E618 DD2C 5901 9574

River/Serenity: "You're not right, Early.  You're not righteous.  You
got issues.

Early: "No.  Well, yes.  I could have that."