[londonperl] A difficult filesystem

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Wed Jun 20 14:12:45 BST 2007

On 20 Jun 2007, at 13:50, David Alban wrote:

> This may or may not help, but I'll submit it for consideration...
>
> Gather information on all sets of links pointing to each inode.
> Delete links so that each inode has only one directory entry.
> Hopefully that will reduce the number of files to a point where rsync
> will run.  On the target machine, recreate the 'extra' hard links.
> Unless six million files is too much for rsync or either of your
> machines.

Thanks, but that's not greatly different from what I'm doing now -
which is basically to build a database that describes the inodes and
dirents separately. Once I have that I'll write some more perl to
copy each inode once and create the hard links to it.

To clarify - the rsync based backup runs fine. What fails is using
rsync to copy the /whole/ filesystem. I was only using rsync to do
that because I've had success with it in the past. I don't need a
remote copy, both drives in the same machine.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net