A difficult filesystem

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Jun 20 23:50:13 BST 2007

Andy Armstrong wrote:
> On 20 Jun 2007, at 14:50, David Cantrell wrote:
>> rsync -H is a notorious memory-hog.  However, if you're brave enough to
>> upgrade to rsync 3, then rsync eats far less memory.  No idea if that
>> still holds for -H, but it's worth trying.  What else did you try?
> Just some random rsync. I'll try the latest, thanks.

rsync 3 is still under development.  The protocol keeps changing.  It's
only available by checking it out of CVS.

>> The obvious choice is dump/restore if the two FSes are the same type.
> I'd forgotten that was possible...

It's not encouraged under Linux (which is what I think you said you were
using?) because Linus doesn't like it.  You should unmount the fs you're
dumping to get around the bugs that were introduced in kernel 2.4.

What is the difference between hearing aliens through the
fillings in your teeth and hearing Jesus in your heart?