The joys of commuting [was Re: [SOCIAL] Thursday July the 5th...]

Simon Burr simes at bpfh.net
Wed Jul 4 21:11:04 BST 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 11:44:01AM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
>Wow, you had space to read books? I find it hard to read when there's five
>of you crammed into a bike rack with somebody's elbow in your ear.

I certainly had space on the Camb->KingsX part - the 6:45am was made up of
eight coaches, four of which started at Cambridge so it was just a matter
of turning up at ~6:30am, getting on an empty train and waiting for the
other four coaches to appear from Kings Lyn. This usually meant that I'd
happily get space for me and the folding bike - normally on the single seat
across the asile from the disabled toilet.

The train did fill up, but it was relatively nice.

In the evenings it was a different matter - the 17:45 from KingsX was a
non-starter, it was just too crowded for it to be sensible to get me and
the folding bike on. The 18:15 was much better - I'd usually put myself
in a doorway and read. Most people got off at the first stop anyway.

Although I did like the time for reading, the four hours a day doing that
commute ate out of my day really sucked.

--
   Simon the stressed        http://www.bpfh.net/           simes at bpfh.net
                 Chocolate is *not* a substitute for sleep