Is it just me?

Daniel Barlow dan at coruskate.net
Thu Jul 5 13:21:49 BST 2007

Luis Motta Campos wrote:
>   Hum. Not necessarly. Static / read only pages scale quite well with
> just the addition of more hardware. But the guy should have a number for
> this before creating pages.

Honestly, I don't see why.  Either it's small enough to be negligible
(and judging from Andy's past experience, this is probably a reasonable
assumption) or the whole thing will be a massive unexpected and
unpredicted success.

My point is: as IT professionals we protest when we don't know the
answer to something and are asked to come up with some bullshit number
anyway (I'm thinking mostly about timescales[*] here): why do we expect
the same from the client?  Of course, if he _does_ know this information
then he should say, but if not then exactly how much use in practice is
his wild guess going to be?  Better to know it's unknown, then at least
you can think about how you'd find out ("soft" launches, gmail-style
invitation-only betas, etc) and make some plans.  Knowing that you don't
know is a much better place to be in than thinking you do.

[*] yeah yeah, I know timescales are not /per se/ unknowable, but
they're often asked for in situations where the information to provide
them is not (yet) available.

-dan