Is it just me?

Nigel Rantor wiggly at wiggly.org
Fri Jul 6 10:40:47 BST 2007

chromatic wrote:
> On Thursday 05 July 2007 11:44:24 Andy Armstrong wrote:
>
>> chromatic wrote:

>>> Has that ever worked for you?  It's never worked for me!
>
>> Nope, same here. Not one single time. That's across everything from
>> hardware projects, embedded stuff, web stuff, desktop apps.
>
> I haven't met many people for whom expecting complete (or even
> nearly-complete) requirements at the start of the project actually worked.
> (I can't think of any.)

Do you mean for whom 'expecting' or 'receiving' has not worked?

Once upon a while ago I was contracting and I had enough clout to be
able to go back to the people and thrash out requirements before I
started coding.

Yes, there were some areas that we had to leave fuzzy (UI design) and
these are the ones that became problematic.

Having requirements for the rest, even if they change over time (based
on mutual agreement) worked quite nicely.

I yearn for those days...