Wikipedia on handheld devices

Chris Devers cdevers at pobox.com
Sat Jul 7 15:00:39 BST 2007

On Jul 4, 2007, at 7:12 PM, David Cantrell wrote:

> My project for the last few days has been :
>   http://wikiproxy.cantrell.org.uk/
>
> This was prompted by Wikipedia being impossible to use on my Treo
> because the page layout assumes you have a large screen.  This cuts
> out
> most of the rubbish surrounding the article, and also gets rid of
> editing, history, some pointless graphics, and so on.

Possibly useful, in the same vein:

     "Well, say you want to get the raw data from a bunch of Web
     pages that use the same template -- like restaurant reviews on
     Yelp.com, for instance. You can give templatemaker an arbitrary
     number of HTML files, and it will create the "template" that was
     used to create those files. ("Template," in this case, means a
     string with a number of "holes" in it, where the holes represent
     the parts of the page that change.) Once you've got the template,
     you can then give it any HTML file that uses that same template,
     and it will give you the raw data: "The value for hole 1 is 'July
     6, 2007', the value for hole 2 is 'blue'," etc."

http://www.holovaty.com/blog/archive/2007/07/06/0128

(Via http://daringfireball.net/linked/2007/july#fri-06-templatemaker)

--
Chris Devers