64bit perl and memory usage

alex@owal.co.uk alex at owal.co.uk
Fri Jul 13 17:22:18 BST 2007

Because of some massively memory wasteful programs I am approaching the
maximum memory limit per process. I am moving to 64 bit perl (because the
boss said so). I'm trying it out now on some x86 boxes with a 64 bit
version of Solaris 10.

Now from first glance it seems like the programs are using quite a bit
more memory with 64 bit perl than they did with 32. I have a vague
understanding that pointers are double in size, which is why the maximum
memory is so much larger.

Has anyone else gone through the migration process of 32 bit to 64 bit
perl? Do you recommend leaving programs as they are unless they *need* the
bigger memory?

Alex