[OT] E-mail provider recommendations

Robert Rothenberg robrwo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 11:14:08 BST 2007

On 22/07/07 09:46 Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

> On 22 Jul 2007, at 02:29, Robert Rothenberg wrote:
>

>> I'm looking for a good e-mail provider as an alternative to Google
>> which has the following features:
>
> What is it about Google that doesn't tick all your boxes?

For one thing, it's "free", so the service contract is one sided.  If they
decide in the future to remove a feature that I've relied upon, too bad.

I want to keep the different services I use online in different entities:
searching, e-mail, calendars, photos, videos, blogs, etc.  All of these
services involve a lot of personal information, and I don't like putting it
all in one basket

It's a boon for stalkers and governments [1].

I also don't like the way Google aggregates information for your own
benefit, e.g. Web History [2].  It's rather disturbing to find this turned
on and a log of some of your search history.  You can "pause" it, but not
permanently disable it.

They are in a position to data-mine a lot of social-network (you used to
have to be invited to join Google Mail) information with interests gleaned
from searches.  Calendars, photos and videos add some spice to the mix.

Rob

[1] If the UK gov shoves the ID card scheme down everyone's throughs, it
    might as well contain your Google username.

[2] http://tinyurl.com/99zcb