[OT] E-mail provider recommendations

Jefferson Kirkland numberwhun at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 14:06:16 BST 2007

On 7/21/07, Robert Rothenberg <robrwo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for a good e-mail provider as an alternative to Google which
> has
> the following features:
>
> * Allows me to send e-mails with alternative from addresses (so I can have
>   other accounts forward to this one, but reply as the original address).
>
> * Allows me to send/receive large attachments.
>
> * A decent webmail interface.
>
> * POP/IMAP and SMTP (over SSL).
>
> * Tolerable spam filtering.
>
> * Reliable uptime/server performance.
>
> * No bizarro service agreements about the kinds of e-mail I can send or
>   receive (beyond the usual restrictions against spamming).
>
> I'm fine with paying for the service--- I'd rather rely on a company whose
> services I pay for than on one which is giving it away for "free".

Well  then, IMHO, considering all of your selections above and that you
don't want changes to the application that you might be comfortable with, I
think you best option would be to:

1.  Buy a domain name
2.  Host it at your house
3.  Build your own solution

I am sure that would be the absolute ideal solution for anyone, given they
had the time.  It provides all the controls that you would want to implement
along with no "bizarro service agreements" to worry about.

Plus, you could install your own web-based interface that you could access
anywhere.

Cheers,

Jeff