[OT] E-mail provider recommendations

Dave Hodgkinson davehodg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 15:04:32 BST 2007

On 22 Jul 2007, at 15:46, Chris Bannister wrote:

> Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
>
>>> No IMAP?
>> IMAP is evil.
>> Google DTRT IMHO: KISS, POP3[0] and leave on the server.
>
> Surely the whole point of IMAP is to keep it on the server?

My bias against IMAP is that it's software. And we all know what
software does.
With big slurping noises.

You have to jump through major hoops to make it scale in any
meaningful sense: make
sure your filesystem is laid out properly, make sure you're using the
right one of
the myriad mailbox formats, shoot stupid sales people flinging
massive .ppt files
around. It's just pain.

I'm sure for a controlled, one-person setup it's fine.

--
Dave Hodgkinson
Back in the Market Risk swamp