Pseudo Random Sequences

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Mon Jul 23 20:01:48 BST 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 07:57:03PM +0200, Dave Hodgkinson said:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random#In_mathematics
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Monte_Carlo_method#Monte_Carlo_and_random_numbers
>
> Whole branches of math devoted to the subject.

Just to be clear, this is, unless I'm mistaken, the exact opposite of
what I want.

I wnat to know if there's any research of stuff that will generate
sequences that has no obvious patterns in it. Randomness has patterns in
it. This is how you can tell when someone has faked a putting dots on a
piece of paper randomly because they space the dots evenly apart and no
clumps appear.

In short, for example, I want something that given a selection of n
songs will arrange them in such a way so that songs by the same artist
are as far away from each other as possible.

Current thoughts have been - probabilities, some sort of reverse
simulated annealing or using spring functions.

Simon