Pseudo Random Sequences

Matt Sergeant msergeant at messagelabs.com
Tue Jul 24 14:51:37 BST 2007

On 24-Jul-07, at 4:37 AM, Simon Wistow wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 07:50:00PM -0400, Matt Sergeant said:
>> Isn't this *EXACTLY* what the iPod/iTunes does? It even has a slider
>> control for how close or how far from the "clumping" you want to be
>> (the "Smart Shuffle" slider).
>
> Very possibly. But since I don't have an iPod nor do I want to use
> this
> with an iPod nor with iTunes it doesn't really help.

Well in case it is, GIYF.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=ipod+shuffle
+algorithm

And try "smart shuffle algorithm" too. Not a whole lot of info out
there, but some pages might be useful. A lot of the postings are old
though, and seem to point at weaknesses that the algorithm no longer
has.

Matt.