turncoat

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jul 26 14:28:55 BST 2007

With the dearth of any interesting Perl jobs out there, I'm thinking
that I should probably retrain in something that people are actually
hiring for. A quick poke around Jobserve indicates that Java jobs pay
enough coin that I can afford to take loads of time off to hack on
interesting Perl stuff.

The main downside is that my Java knowledge is basically stuck in
1998. I know the core language, have written web applets, mobile
phone applications, daemons, but it's all Java 1.1 style. I hear
they've added one or two new features to Java since :)

So... I'm going to wander into Foyles to stock up on books to get me
back up to speed. Assume I'm
a competent Perl 5 and Java 1.1 developer. Which books come
recommended to drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st century?

Should I be looking at Struts, or something else? Swing looks useful
(or at least seems to suck less hard than AWT), is it? Where did they
hide LWP[0]? XML::Simple? Data::Dumper? WWW::Mechanize? etc..?

[0] I lie, I actually know this one.