turncoat

Denny london.pm at metamathics.org
Thu Jul 26 17:27:36 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 16:23 +0100, Tom Hukins wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 03:52:05PM +0100, Denny wrote:
> > They're not very interesting.
> >
> > Mostly this seems to translate to "they're not offering enough money"
>
> I suspect this might sum it up.  From talking to various people about
> what constitutes an "interesting job", I've not come up with anything
> coherent.
> What would an interesting Perl job look like?

I've tended to list stuff about the working environment in my
requirements in the past - flexitime, casual dress, friendly office, two
monitors per developer, giving your opinion not only encouraged but
could actually cause changes to happen, no Radio 1 or other inane pop
radio stations being played loudly near the developers (*waves at
Peter*), etc etc.

The work I've done has always tended to be mostly website related stuff.
I know this is sneered upon for being dull, but I quite like it.  The
main questions I tend to ask about the work itself are to do with trying
to avoid particularly horrible technical decisions (with mixed success,
it has to be said).