Domain registration front end

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Jul 27 10:30:09 BST 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 06:45:19PM +0000, the hatter wrote:
[...]
> Depends how much you're talking about "doing themselves" - if you feel
> like writing a domain registration system and your own tags, it'll cost
> you a sum upfront just to be able to register.

400 quid to join Nominet plus 100 quid per annum. If you're feeling dodgy
and an existing tagholder will let you, you could get a subtag of theirs.

> If you don't do that, then you can mostly use any of the cheap
> registration companies that take your fancy, and webscrap them or hook
> into an API to do some/most of the job. Doubly so when some of them want
> to make it easy for you to resell and manage domains without having to do
> much work yourself.

The last time we did this, we had our own Nominet tag for .uk and let
OpenSRS do the rest. I wasn't involved in the financials of that but I
believe we had to drop $300 to get into OpenSRS. You could also
pay-as-you-go with a reseller, but you won't make any profit that way.

OpenSRS will also do .uk domains if you don't want to be a Nominet member.
However, if you're expecting to do much .uk registration, you probably
should, if only to get voting rights and an invite to the industry knees-up.