Foreign keys / Transactions in MySQL.. WTF?

Ovid publiustemp-londonpm at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 12:29:09 BST 2007

--- Jonathan Stowe <jns at gellyfish.com> wrote:

> Oooh good points, combine those with "consistent and largely ANSI
> compliant SQL implementation", "scalable and flexible storage model",
> "reliable and easy to configure replication", "advanced query
> optimisation" and "comprehensive performance and fault monitoring
> facilities" and I'm sure I'd be almost be convinced if it wasn't for
> the stupid name and the frothing geeks.

Other points aside, MySQL should default to 'strict' mode and by
default be as ANSI compliant as possible.  Because it's not and many
developers don't even know about these options, we've sacrificed
correctness for ease of use.  If MySQL would do the right thing and at
least change the defaults, many of my complaints would be moot.

Then they need to add trigger support for views, but that's another
story :)

Cheers,
Ovid

--