Foreign keys / Transactions in MySQL.. WTF?

Pete Sergeant pete at clueball.com
Tue Jul 31 13:16:45 BST 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 12:34:55PM +0100, Nic Gibson wrote:
> One assumes PostgreSQL given the comment about terminal widths. Yes,
> that is an annoyance with psql but seriously, who chooses an RDBMS
> based on that sort of thing?

Presumably the same people who choose PHP because of the exceptionally
low barrier to entry as compared to creating a functionally similar
mod_perl application, despite PHP being STAB SELF IN FACE levels of
annoying.

Your vast majority of users don't choose a database. They just want
somewhere to stash organized data. Installing MySQL on my Mac was a
breeze. Installing PostgreSQL was involved. My application is only ever
likely to see the database via DBIx::Class anyway.

If, one day, my apps need something that MySQL isn't giving them, I'm
sure I'll migrate away from it. Think I've been saying that for five
years at least.

-P