Perl is dead, long live Perl.

Bob Browning bob at textor.com
Fri Aug 3 09:27:25 BST 2007

I have been programming for more years than I can mention and every few
years a new language comes along that absolutely everyone has to get into
because the old languages are dead.

The fact is that since PL/1, which was the first 3GL to combine the
requirements of commercial and scientific users, the world has only needed
at most one more language. Sadly not one that has been created: PL/2 the
object-oriented version of PL/1.

I use Perl from day to day because it is there. It is no better or worse
overall than all the others. I can deliver solutions with it, and frankly
that is all I care about.

Bob