On topic: The Wednesday Challenge

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Wed Aug 15 17:38:34 BST 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 05:08:07PM +0100, Andy Armstrong said:
> It wasn't compulsory :)

Personally I think it was quite a good question and I've had similar in
various i nterviews.

What's interesting is that once you've got the central concept - that
there can only be 256 possible values and that you don't need to sort
65*1024*1024 numbers then it's actually quite easy but it's getting to
that assumption that's the hard bit. Ok, so many people here got it but
I suspect that there are many who wouldn't immediately. What makes it an
interesting interview question is taking, say, a graduate who went with
the naive answer and seeing if you could encourage them in the direction
of the 'correct' answer.

For people who immediately get it then move onto a more difficult
question but this could serve as a baseline indicator.