Research masters in London

Simon Wistow simon at
Mon Aug 20 13:15:32 BST 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:18:26PM +0600, [[Sumon]] said:
> I have been a passive member of this list for last one year. I am posting
> for the first time for some advice. I love this group.

> Question:
> What advice or pointer would you offer to a 25 year old intermediate
> level Perl programmer if he says, he has strong experience in writing
> web crawlers and would like to go for a research masters degree
> related to search engine, web crawling, data mining or information
> retrieval in London (or at least UK)?

In London, Imperial College has a strong Data Mining department which
takes MScs and PhDs. Elsewhere I hear Edinburgh and Southhampton are
both good. Aston in Birmingham is supposed to have a good research
department as well, as far as I know.

However, if you were looking you'd have to be quick - University terms
in the UK start in September and October so you may already be too late.

University admission in the UK is done through an organisation called

and all universities have websites. Imperial's is

with the department of computing being

Other universities to look for in London are

UCL (University College London)

with Goldsmiths in particular having a strong post doctoral program.

A word of warning - prices for foreign students are relatively steep -
up to 22,000 UKP a term IIRC. An option is to do a part time degree
whilst working at which case it tend to be around 4,000 UKP a term I

Hope that helps,