Tube Strike (Was: [ANNOUNCE] [SOCIAL] Social at Dirty Dicks, Thursday 6th September)

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Sun Sep 2 22:28:05 BST 2007

Simon Wistow writes:

> ... we're trying yet another new pub this month - the delightfully
> named Dirty Dicks by Liverpool Street.

Media are reporting a Tube strike this week:

though I haven't been able to find any information on official websites
of what's happening.

The strike apparently ends on Thursday at 18:00, right as our social
meeting starts.  For those who've been in London longer than I have,
what's the service usually like after a strike -- can we expect there to
be any Tubes running that evening?

This article says it's Metronet staff who'll be striking:

  http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/07c2f372-57ef-11dc-8c65-0000779fd2ac.html

Metronet are/were responsible for Tube maintenance work (which I'd taken
to mean the Tube equivalent of roadworks), not driving trains.  Yet the
media are implying that trains won't be running; is that because
"maintenance" encompasses parts of the day-to-day running of trains (not
just long-term work on track improvements), or because the RMT strike
includes other (non-Metronet) staff, or something else that I haven't
understood?

Metronet list the Tube lines they are/were responsible for:

  http://www.metronetrail.com/

The Piccadilly and Jubilee lines are notably absent.  Does that mean
that service on those two lines will be unaffected by the strike?  Or
will any RMT staff on those lines be striking anyway in solidarity?

I realize it's unlikely anybody on this list knows definitive answers to
these questions, but any anecdotes on what's happened in previous
strikes would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Smylers