Tube Strike (Was: [ANNOUNCE] [SOCIAL] Social at Dirty Dicks, Thursday 6th September)

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Mon Sep 3 11:14:35 BST 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 10:48:01AM +0100, Spiros Denaxas wrote:
> On 9/3/07, Iain Tatch <iain.tatch+londonpm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 03/09/07, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > To answer the original question, my understanding is that the Jubilee,
> > Northern and Piccadilly ought to carry on as normal during the strike.
> >  You can expect those lines to be obscenely crowded though (as opposed
> > to just ridiculously crowded as is the norm).  The other lines are
> > likely to wind down from mid-afternoon today and I suspect that as of
> > tomorrow morning they won't be running a single train.
> >

> Just wondering, isn't there a certain limit to how many people can get
> into a carriage. Surely like any moving vehicle, it would have a max
> number of people allowed to occupied it. Taking the central line for
> nearly 1 1/2 years now to work every day, I have come across numerous
> lovely occasions where its just too much and there are way too many
> people in there (with of course more people pushing to get in at every
> stop). Just wondering if there's any sort of policy w/ regards to
> being sardines, because from what I gather its always been "as many as
> we can fit in"

The maximum number of allowed people was probably set 50 years ago.
Before people were as fat as they are now, and when they weren't
travelling with backpacks stuffed with laptops, bottles, etc.

The same number of people that now fill a car to physical capacity
would leave lots of breathing space in the 50s.

Abigail