Tube Strike (Was: [ANNOUNCE] [SOCIAL] Social at Dirty Dicks, Thursday 6th September)

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Mon Sep 3 12:34:55 BST 2007

Peter Corlett writes:

> I can't help thinking that the unions are being somewhat unreasonable
> about all of this, although that seems to be the main purpose of
> unions IMO. The employer has gone bust, and in any other industry
> that's game over and they're all looking for jobs. TFL have also made
> this statement, which seems clear enough and quite fair:
>
>    "Both the Mayor and the direct employers, the Administrator and
>    Metronet, have given the trades unions clear written assurances
>    that meet all of their concerns, namely that there will be no job
>    cuts or transfers as a result of the collapse of Metronet and no
>    loss of pensions now or at any time in the future.

I don't understand that "no transfers" bit.  Metronet has collapsed; the
work that was being done by Metronet will be taken over by other
organizations -- surely the staff would _want_ to be transferred to the
other organizations, rather than stay with the one that's got no money
and no work?

Smylers