Tube Strike (Was: [ANNOUNCE] [SOCIAL] Social at Dirty Dicks, Thursday 6th September)

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Tue Sep 4 19:26:54 BST 2007

On 9/5/07, Simon Cozens <simon at simon-cozens.org> wrote:
> IvorW wrote this:
> > I don't know too much about the "message" of scientology.
>
> Which disqualified him from writing this:
> > To tarnish the world of NLP with the same brush is a tad unfair.
>
> If you don't know, then you can't say whether it's unfair or not, I'm
> afraid.
>
> I've been around Saint Hill. I've watched them do their auditing
> exercises and their training. It's the same stuff, right down to the
> excessive "tech" jargon, and the ideas on psychotherapy that Chris wrote
> about.

As someone reasonably well informed about both I have to disagree.
Comparing NLP to scientology isn't far removed IMO from comparison of
say Redhat Certification and scientology. Sure, they both have
'levels' you can attain, "tech" jargon, zealous adherents, marketing,
and so on but beyond that...

NLP is a grab-bag of techniques and ideas around modelling behavior
that provides a framework and vocabulary for describing skills,
abilities, and a person's internal representation and communication of
(their) reality, all primarily aimed at increasing the effectiveness
of our communication.

If you think that sounds like scientology, well.. OK then :-)

Ultimately, everyone finds their own path their own way, and as you
say, if someone can find all or part of their path by studying their
own motivation, how they communicate, and their ability to somehow
live more effectively, good for them.