Why Perl needs a VM

Ismail, Rafiq (IT) Rafiq.Ismail at MorganStanley.com
Wed Sep 5 12:21:25 BST 2007

<!-- outlook.. Apologies for toppost -->
For large feeds, depending on the structure and semantics of your
documents, one approach you may want to consider is a combination of
SAX/DOM parsing, where at runtime you DOM parse a 'reconstructed
subtree' (at sax time) of your main document.  This would contstrain the
depth of your xpaths and the overall size of the DOM tree.  For large
trees, which require DOM parsing, it can be quite performant.  You could
also potentially parallelise your processing of a single document, via
this approach..

Depending on your requirements, you could also hold some state between
subtree parses and inject nodes into the reconstructed tree - where
there is a dependency on some previously parsed artifact..

The likes of XML::Twig might also be worth looking at, but I don't know
much about the underlying implementation/performance.

Just a thought.

R.