Why Perl needs a VM

Ovid publiustemp-londonpm at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 09:08:28 BST 2007

--- jesse <jesse at fsck.com> wrote:

> A crock as a mail platform, sure. But show me another disconnectable
> syncable database app designed to let users build their own
> databases.
> Please. I'd like one. Badly.

MS Excel!

Disconnectable:  Works if the network's down.
Syncable:  Email to someone and tell 'em to save it.
Database App:  This has long been the de facto database for many small
organizations (I remember debugging a client's web site and discovering
that its "database" was Excel and they broke the site by moving some
cells)

OK, that's a tad tongue in cheek, but I think the horror of letting
people use Excel as a *general purpose* database shows how dangerous
this is.  If it's a special purpose one like CouchDB, perhaps it
wouldn't be so bad.

Cheers,
Ovid

--