NLP

ben@bpfh.net ben at bpfh.net
Fri Sep 7 10:17:18 BST 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 08:27:29AM -0700, Paul Makepeace wrote:

>Plenty of it. Classic NLP treatments like phobia cures, internal conflict
>resolution, and so on are so commonplace in therapy

Is this what NLP means by a 'reframe', then?

Because I would have said that these were classic treatments of therapy,
which NLP had 'borrowed'.

In general, I don't see anything contraversial about the concept that
human beings have an internal model not only of the world, but of
themselves (and how they interact with the world), and that they
can effect change by adjusting that model[0].

I am very skeptical about NLP as it seems to have cultish aspects and
it is trivial to find not-obviously-crank documents that paint a very
dark picture of it indeed (eg google for "the bandler method"). That
may simply be my perception of NLP, though.

Ben
[0]This does of course require that you genuinely believe change is
possible, which a suprising number of people don't.