Perl at the BBC?

Paul Tweedy paul.tweedy at bbc.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 11:33:11 BST 2007

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, Matt S Trout wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 10:37:21PM +0100, Paul Golds wrote:
>> On 9/16/07, John Costello <cos at indeterminate.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> While a friend was searching for jobs at the BBC, I decided to look at
>>> their Perl jobs.  My curiosity was quashed.  The keyword search returned
>>> no results.  Don't they have a sizable Perl presence?
>>
>> The BBC is a very varied organisation, different departments using
>> different technologies- including Perl.  I think the largest
>> department which uses it heavily will be the news/weather website
>> folks, but a lot of them will use it to one extent or another.
>
> If you poke through the Catalyst and DBIx::Class mailing list archives you
> can find at least one group there using perl.

There is still quite a lot of Perl around in the Beeb. Also a fair bit of
Java, some .NET, and even pockets of Python and Ruby scattered
around doing various minor (experimental) things.

There's nothing Perly on the job site today, but that doesn't mean there
won't be tomorrow. Hiring, in my experience, tends to come in waves. My
suggestion is that you/your friend sign up for the keyword-based email
alert thingy.

HTH,

Paul