Perl generated XML - character sets

alex@owal.co.uk alex at owal.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 09:59:03 BST 2007

I have to admit that I dont know much about character sets used in XML -
and even less about when perl generates that XML.

So I have some perl code which generates XML. On Linux it works fine, but
on Solaris some funny characters come through - probably a euro symbol -
and the generated file is no longer valid XML.

Can anyone point me at stuff I need to read and learn to try and sort this
out?

Can anyone explain to me why it behaves differently on the different OS'es
when AFAIK the perl versions are the same.

Cheers

Alex