Perl Obfuscator

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Sep 19 15:52:17 BST 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 04:11:59PM +0100, Adrian Howard wrote:
> On 18 Sep 2007, at 15:31, Chris Jack wrote:
> >Can anyone recommend a good, free Perl obfuscator. I had a search
> >on Google, and there seem to be a zillion out there - but which one
> >should I choose? It needs to be able to handle classes, packages,
> >include files etc without effecting functionality/output.
> Given tools like perltidy, B::Deobfuscate and B::Deparse I'd give a
> lot of consideration to just not bothering. They just don't work :-)

Simon wins a prize for predicting that someone would say that.

But you're wrong.  Merely changing all the variable, class and
subroutine names can go a long way to making code exceedingly hard to
read, and none of those tools can undo that.  Why on earth do you think
that we exhort people to choose good variable names in the first place?

You can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter"