[OT] Hard drive recovery

Philippe Bruhat (BooK) philippe.bruhat at free.fr
Thu Sep 20 10:32:48 BST 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 10:00:52PM +0100, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 06:27:48PM +0100, Robert Rothenberg wrote:
> > A cooleague of mine's hard drive is fried, and she's looking for
> > organisations than can recover the data from it.  Is anybody aware of
> > services which are "not too expensive"?
>
> If you don't find any, there's always
>
> (a) the freezer
>
> (b) swapping the logic board from an identical one

I did that once, a few years back, and it worked perfectly!
I could copy the data to a fresh disk, and give back the board to the
(sweaty) owner of the twin disk.

The hardest part of the operation might actually be finding someone with
a disk identical to the fried one.

> but I don't think I'd try that on anything with data that was actually
> important to me.

Of course I had to do it BECAUSE the data was important to me (and not
backed up). :-)

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 We vote to pick our leaders-     /     And we place them in a tower-
 Why is it that we cannot wait-   /     To vote them out of power?
                                (Intro poem to Groo The Wanderer #109 (Epic))