Brown trousers time :~

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Oct 9 16:35:39 BST 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 03:42:11PM +0100, Lyle - CosmicPerl.com wrote:

> FastCGI is certainly becoming much more attractive. Do you know
> myserverproject.net? Is their web server fast? I'd preferably like to
> test out a fast webserver that runs on both Linux and Windows.

If speed is really that important then you need to do your own
benchmarking, with realistic traffic.

> Also I'm figuring rather than opening/writing/closing a database
> connection for each click, there is a way of keeping the connection open
> so all I need do is write?

Assuming that FastCGI == CGI without the compilation overhead each time,
then no.  I would run a seperate daemon that kept a database connection
open and talk a much simpler protocol to that than go through the
expense of connecting to the database and disconnecting every time.

That protocol might be something as simple as dropping a carefully
constructed file into a directory, and have the daemon periodically scan
that or be notified by the OS of updates in that directory.

Did you know that shotguns taste like candy canes?  Put the barrel in
your mouth and pull the trigger for an extra blast of minty goodness!