Brown trousers time :~

Jacqui caren jacqui.caren at
Thu Oct 11 08:41:19 BST 2007

Lyle - wrote:
> David Cantrell wrote:
>> Assuming that FastCGI == CGI without the compilation overhead each time,
>> then no.
> I found this,
> I think FastCGI is more like mod_perl than cgi, it's processes don't get
> destroyed, etc.

I am afraid you have the wrong idea about mod_perl.

mod_perl does not just allow you to run persistent CGi "scripts" it ties
into a wide range of handlers within Apache, allowing you to roll your
own authen handlers, chained output filters etc.

Unlike *CGI where all of this app specific code would *have* to be
written in a single script, the code can be modularised and plumbed
into apache, with configuration - it can even be enabled and disabled
to change behaviour!

IMHO This makes testing *much* simpler.

As some folks have already stated mod_perl can be major overkill.
 From the very copious documentation I hope you can see why.

P.s. we run on a pool of machines minimun quad core 16Gig of RAM.
Even with cheap hardware and net bandwidth running costs over a few
years soon exceeds development costs.