Lack of Perl 5 implementations was Re: Does Microsoft like Perl and PHP????

Steve Mynott steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 09:37:37 BST 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 09:23:30AM +0100, Jonathan Stowe typed:

> More recently they may have slightly alienated the Perl community with
> the "Dynamic Language Runtime" with support for Python and Ruby - of
> course this wasn't deliberate on Microsoft's part, it's just that work
> was already underway to have those languages run on the CLR. You can
> search the archives of this list for a flavour of the positions that
> would make Perl running there unlikely.

Although Microsoft isn't exactly my favourite software company this
does seem a little unfair.

Why is it Microsoft's fault the Perl syntax is so complex that there
is only one implementation of Perl in C?  And that this is basically
the specification of the language as well.

Also there are versions of Python and Ruby that run on Java!  So
is it Sun's fault that noone has written Perl 5 or 6 in Java?

--
Steve Mynott <steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk>