Does Microsoft like Perl and PHP?

Paul LeoNerd Evans leonerd at
Tue Oct 16 22:03:04 BST 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:53:49 +0100
David Cantrell <david at> wrote:

> > I challenge you to name me a single MUA that displays, in any way, the
> > "References" or "In-Reply-To" fields by default, when composing a reply.
> If you're not replying, you shouldn't hit 'reply'.  Not even Lookout is
> stupid enough to combine "new message" and "reply" into one button.

That's not the point.

The UI makes them look equivalent - to the uneducated user, there is NO
difference between "reply" and "new + to: + subject:". He doesn't know
about the extra headers, because he can't see them.

Ergo, he believes "new + to:" == "reply - subject:", so he does the
latter as it's easier to just delete the subject.

The UI does not teach him these aren't the same.

Consider for example, moving a file vs. copying then deleting it. The UI
doesn't make it obvious for example, such issues as inodes, and other
hardlinks, and so on.

I'm not saying the UI is entirely to blame here, what I _am_ saying is
that the UI doesn't make any effort to teach the user his actions are

Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd at
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460