FastCGi on IIS... The tale of Microsoft and my new Perl Module...

Lyle - CosmicPerl.com perl at cosmicperl.com
Fri Oct 19 13:55:34 BST 2007

Andy Armstrong wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2007, at 02:39, Lyle - CosmicPerl.com wrote:
>> I'm interested in any feedback...
>
> It looks as if you're loading and compiling the script every time.
> Which seems to negate some of the advantages of FastCGI. You don't get
> a clean execution environment anyway because you're just running code
> in the same scope over and over again.
  From looking at the IIS.net forums, people wanted a solution where
they could use MS new FastCGI DLL in much the same way PHP is. Yes the
scripts code is compiled each time, but Perl is already loaded and the
process re-used. It's not intended to give you all of FastCGI's
benefits, just some of them, it's supposed to be a drop in replacement
for their CGI.
  Thanks for pointing out the clean execution environment, this will
cause a problem for global variables in the script... I'd appreciate it
if someone would point out the fastest way of giving each call a clean
environment, so that globals from scripts called in this manor are not
left behind...

> Also I can't see what's IIS specific. Isn't your loop that polls
> Accept just the normal pattern for FCGI? (I haven't used FCGI - this
> based on a quick scan of its docs)
>
> And no tests! :)
My bad, but with such as small script, what would you test for?

> Sorry to be negative. I know premature optimisation was discouraged
> but throwing away part of FCGI's advantage before you start seems like
> an architectural mistake.

I'll be giving the IIS people a guide for proper FastCGI's with Perl,
but that isn't the intention of this module.

Lyle