FastCGi on IIS... The tale of Microsoft and my new Perl Module...

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sat Oct 20 05:08:05 BST 2007

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 03:17:32PM +0100, Lyle - CosmicPerl.com wrote:
> Andy Armstrong wrote:
> >Spawn a new process - but then you've lost the advantage of FastCGI
> >and have basically reinvented a slower CGI. I don't think you can
> >really hide the fact that the process is persistent - better to
> >embrace it.
> Lol. I'm sure there is a way of cleaning out the globals without the
> need to start a new process. Embracing it isn't an option as it needs to
> work with normal cgi scripts that haven't been coded for a FastCGI
> environment.

So build a "for incompetent CGI 'programmers'" extension on top of it just
like Apache::PerlRun builds on top of ::Registry.

Personally, the CGI scripts I wrote for work when I was 17 didn't need a new
process starting. I'm sorry to hear your users are more incompetent than I
was then, because by gods my perl was crap at that age.