FastCGi on IIS... The tale of Microsoft and my new Perl Module...

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sun Oct 21 19:38:08 BST 2007

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 09:32:04AM +0100, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2007, at 05:06, Matt S Trout wrote:
> >If your dist contains a Build.PL you aren't following modern best
> >practices.
> >
> >Damian's idea thereof does not correspond to what those of us
> >dealing with
> >production deployments consider a good idea.
>
> I didn't know this. What's recommended?

"Anything but Module::Build".

General rule of thumb is "EUMM for simple stuff, Module::Install when you need
extra clever".

Module::Build is a FPITA because -

(1) it's neither core (on 5.8) nor self-bundling ala MI, so you have no
guarantees at all about what the user's got

(2) it does its $VERSION etc. handling using a set of fragile regexes

(3) it changed the meaning on INSTALL_BASE in the last major release (yes,
that was a year ago. Unfortunately due to (1) I -still- see the problem
randomly popping up on a regular basis)

(4) it decides -at install time- what capabilities to build, requiring a
re-install of the same version to fix it later. Don't have YAML.pm? No YAML
support for you, ever, unless you re-install afterwards. Don't have
ExtUtils::CBuilder and a full compiler toolchain? No XS support for you until
you fix that and re-install (and of course if there's not been a version
bump since you're going to need to crowbar CPAN to make it re-install anyway).

Just Say No.