Need to learn C, best books?

Spiros Denaxas spiros at lokku.com
Wed Oct 24 13:52:30 BST 2007

On 10/24/07, Lyle - CosmicPerl.com <perl at cosmicperl.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> The more I work with Perl modules that use a lot of C, the more I find
> the need to learn C.
> I've seen the Perl for C programmers book, but I want a C for Perl
> programmers book.
>
> Is there a C programming book equivalent to "Learning Perl" by Randal?
> I've read several Perl books, but when I finally picked up a copy of
> Learning Perl is was obvious to me that I had wasted time on the other
> Perl introductory books.
>
> Also is there a C equivalent to PerlMonks and PerlM[ou]ngers?
>

> Honestly the last C I did was about 10 years ago, I didn't to much more
> than keyboard/mouse input, file opens & saves, and a load of getpixel
> and setpixel routines to make a little game (did also do some crappy
> AI). Can't really remember any of it. Since I started doing Perl I never
> really looked back at C or VB...
>
> Lyle

Hey Lyle,

For a book I would recommend "The C programming language" [1]. In some ways
I find it similar to 'Learning Perl' in that it covers the basics and
intermediate topics in a fairly concise, structured and comprehensible way
to follow.

For additional resources, I would also recommend using Usenet and the
various newsgroups that can be found there, namely comp.lang.c and others
[2] *
*
[1] http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd/dp/0131103628
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c/topics

My own personal experience , which may not apply to you, is that in order to
fully understand and appreciate a computer language, you need to solve a
practical problem using it. Find some sort of mini project and then write
the code to solve it in C. For me thats the best hands-on experience I can
get and it seems to help me alot when learning something from scratch. By
simple i mean -dead simple-, not  "messing around with the UTF8 internal
flag in SV's in blead"-simple :)

Spiros