Need to learn C, best books?

Jacqui caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 25 15:57:52 BST 2007

David Cantrell wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 06:27:21PM +0100, Jacqui caren wrote:
>>Mehmet Suzen wrote:
>>>But my favourite is K&R. It is an excellent book...
>>I prefer the tartan labs book.
> The title "C: a reference manual" seems to indicate that it's more
> suitable for people who already know C, whereas K&R works well as a
> tutorial as well as a reference.

Don't let the title put you off.

For your first lanugage KnR is probably OK but TL was[0] far
more accurate wrt to writing platform portable code.

A week after getting Knr you will want the TL book.
I consider KnR, "TL for dummies" :-)

Jacqui

[0] I firs used Knr and the TL books *cough* years ago.
In fact the v2 books (~ansi/stdlib versions) had only just been
released - and I was porting machine generated C code to
around 30 different platforms - which makes code portability
rather important. These days compilers are much better and
portability issues no longer really exist - except for
VC++ :-)